Thursday, April 7, 2011

Animal Farm

I just finished reading Animal Farm by George Orwell, and I thought it was amazing.  This being said I am a history buff and have a bizarre interest in Communism.
Animal Farm is an allegory for the time of the Russian Revolution and the beginnings of Communism. (understand why I like it?)  I spent the whole time comparing it to the actual events and people. It mirrors it perfectly, things that happened in the Russian Revolution (and by that I mean until WWII, though the Soviets got trapped in that state until the 90's) also happened in an animal way in the book.  Animalism replaces Communism, but it is nearly the same idea.
The Seven Commandments of Animalism are: (all of these are broken and/or changed by the end of the book)
  1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
  2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
  3. No animal shall wear clothes.
  4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
  5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
  6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
  7. All animals are equal.
The book is really really short, so if you have an interest in Communism, or History you should definitely read it.  I would say that you would need to know how Communism was started and how the Russian Revolution happened to read this book, if not, you'll be super confused.
I liked the book, and like all things on this blog that's my opinion.  I usually like stuff most people don't.
After I'm done the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald I'm reading 1984, Orwell's other novel.

2 comments:

  1. i have never read animal farm, but maybe i should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should read it. I think you would really like it. It's a super quick read I could have sat down and readit in a couple hours.

    ReplyDelete