Thursday, March 3, 2011

On Homeschooling.

I'm sorry I haven't blogged in so long.
I received this comment earlier this week, this is a topic that I have wanted to discuss for a very long time.  Now I am forced to write about it.

"I was reading some of your older posts. and on Sunday October 4, 2009 in your post titled 60ish Things About Me, statement #43 you stated that you thought that home schooling was a complete waste of time. I was just wondering why you thought that and if you still think in that way?"

Here's the post (click here to read it)
Okay, so I was really hoping no one would ever find this comment that I had buried so deep in a very long post. But someone did.  This is proof that everything is recorded on the internet just waiting to be found.
I'm sorry I really am.  I was rather harsh wasn't I?  I was younger, and meaner, and writing on a blog that no one read.  This really isn't an excuse, at all.
Those aren't the words that I should have used.  They make it seem that I think something I don't.
I no longer fully believe it.  As there are things in that post I don't feel anymore.  I don't want to be a pharmacist anymore, I don't read a book a week and I don't even watch Criminal Minds now.  I also will not  have a Bon Jovi themed wedding, ever.  What was I thinking?
Here it goes.  I would never want to be homeschooled (I actually was for Kindergarden)  I love the public school system ( I am currently writing this post in a public school library)  Love it.  I think it gives you so many opportunities.  But with that you get a lot of bad.  I understand that aspect of homeschooling, that you can control what your children learn and you can tailor to each individual child.  I've learned stuff in public schools that I didn't need to.  I've been exposed to things I shouldn't have.  I still really like the system though.
Why did I think that?  I've experienced an elitist state of mind from some homeschoolers.  I've felt that I've been looked down on as stupid and uneducated because I go to public school.  I don't like that as all (on a side note I've also received those feelings from French Immersion students in New Brunswick)  I don't think I should be consiered a person of lesser mental capacity because I go to public school.  I also don't think homeschooled kids should be considered smarter simply because I they're homeschooled.  These feelings have abviously nat been from very homeschooler I have met.
I will admit that I have huge problems with spelling, but I did spend 4 years in a privite Christian school before enetering the public system.  I've been around.
Since I wrote that post I have made friends with some of the most amazing, wondeful, kind, and funny people I have ever met.  And they're homeschooled.
When I have kids I won't homeschool then.  Why? I won't because I don't think I am right for that.  I've never been a very good teacher.  I'd rather put the minds of my kids in the hands a professional, but this is just me talking.  I am of course going to teach them their colours, their numbers, how to read.  I will read to them every day.  All of those things, because that's just raising a toddler, being a responsible parent.
The public system has opened me up to lots of amazing opportunities.  I really thank it for that.
I've had some amazing teachers that have taught me things I will carry with me forever.  I've also had insane teachers that I'll try and forget for the reast of my life.
I don't think homeschooling is a waste of time, if it's done properly.  But the public system isn't always done properly.  I don't believe in the unschooling movement is one thing I'm trying to say.  Homeschooling is just something I'd never want to be involved with.  Is that better?
I hope I've explained myself, how I wanted to.  I hope I'm clearer now and less opinionated and rude.  You grow up, and I need a strong dose of it.
So give me some feed back please?  Do I sound nicer is this post.
I'm sorry parents for going on Blogger, but I really need to answer this.
Okay so last weekend, pretty cool.  Christian Bale won the Oscar.  Toronto lost and Montreal won.
Olympic post is coming, as is one on the Oscars.

6 comments:

  1. I sorta figured that was the way you were thinking. You are right that all ways have their disadvantages and advantages. Unschooling is the biggest joke you ever heard of and I do not think that it should be allowed. As home schoolers we all sort of rammed into the same bunch even though there are so many different groups. Just because you are being home schooled doesn't make you any smarter than any one else I will be the first to admit it. Thank-you for your answer. I also didn't mean to sound accusing and judgemental. Thanks for your time. Oh by the way, your not the only one who has problems with spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. see ya at youth tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey congrats on Acadia! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you explained yourself well. I have worked with all 3 school systems and they all have advantages and diadvantages. I do not like the elite vibes from any group. I think I favor Christian schools that are well run and where the kids are well taught.
    Homeschooling can be very difficult, speaking from experience, when you have behavorial issues and learning disadvantages. I deal with the same problems at home that the public school teachers dealt with when the girls were under their teaching. So problems don't disappear.
    I do strongly feel that I would be dealing with 10 fold problems if mine were at the public school and I know mine would be easily swayed by wrong attitudes and behaviors from kids at school. Public school does not work for them.
    Having said that, I think it can work for those kids who are strong in their faith and who use self control and it makes going to university much easier. But I have seen others pulled down in their faith.We must make clear though that homeschooling does not produce Christian children.
    I have no use for the unschooled method - what a joke!!
    It is good to see you grow and develope in your beliefs. It will be interesting to see where you are at even 5 years from now. You are not stagnant but dynamic- good to see.
    Congratulations on being accepted at Acadia with a scholarship.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oky goo, I was hoping I explained myslef, and you all said I did.
    Thank you, I am excited about Acadia too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving me my morning read.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete