Sunday, June 5, 2011

Superstars

I've always had this want to defend rock stars, and my generation.  One such is John Lennon.  I respect the Beatles they changed music so much, they're lyrics were trippy and simple.  John Lennon is often thrown out of Christian circles because of the Jesus controversy.  
The quote that brought the fire: 
"We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first — rock and roll or Christianity."  
People often quote him as saying "bigger" but he didn't he said popular.  Which was true, the Beatles were one of the biggest thing to ever happen to this planet.  He never said they were more powerful, had the powers of Jesus, nope just that they had more followers.  I don't ever think that Christianity will ever go away, but rock and roll is starting, they just don't make music like they used to. 
In response to all the hatred the Beatles got from the above quote John Lennon said, 
"I suppose if I had said television was more popular than Jesus, I would have gotten away with it. I'm sorry I opened my mouth. I'm not anti-God, anti-Christ, or anti-religion. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."
He goes off a bit when he gets to the Jesus Christ as a person..part.
I just thought I'd voice this.

1 comment: