Friday, April 30, 2010

Protectionism...

..And not of the Canadian economy
I've discoverd somethng about myself.  I actually kind of knew it but it came to light last night.  A friend wants to borrow some CD's from us.  Samarah had a CD in the pile which I couldn't be parted with.  She wanted me to add another CD to make up for it.  After like 4 trips to my room to try and find one I couldn't anything.  Then it clicked, I'm extremly protective of my music, I want it to be mine and only mine.  I live in a world were myself and like 2 other people listen to my bands.  All I had left by the way was some crazy screamo stuff which her parents wouldn't overly dig (some songs had titles like Your Demon, We kill at Twilight, Self Dustruct and Die, which all make sense in the context and aren't bad songs)...nor do I really want her to listen to screamo..my thing.  You know you don't really feel like letting someone else listen to your music because you are so emotionally invested in it. They feel like your best friend kind of thing.  You know how you felt when you listened to it and that's your emotion that goes with it.
I'm a big beleiver in emotional music, I think you have to make choices between what you like and don't like listen to the lyrics, the music.  People who listen to top 40 because it's what's popular and then forget about the song after a few months annoy me.  You need to go out and find good music, really you do.  Yes my very favourite music was given to me, Clapton, Springsteen all my old school Christian rock loves, by my parents, I grew up on it.  I will share them with my children but not with anyone. I don't want anyone coming up to me and discussing what I love, or dissing what I love. 
I've created my music catologue, it's an odd mix for sure and I love it, no one else can have it (so if i suggest and band to you it means I love and trust you :)
Yes I know I sound very selfish...I'm protective okay.
yes I do like popular music, Hedley, Owl City (stuff besides Fireflies..get over that song guys, I do hate Hello Seattle though) I'm starting to like the Black Eyed Peas, Taylor Swift.  I decided I like them not because I wasa told to but because I chose to...if that makes sense.
Oh and p.s. Ryan Gosling you are gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete